French Market Recipe 2023 29
Lentilles vertes de Puy aux œufs mollet
Green Puy lentils with soft boiled eggs
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 200g Le Puy green lentils from the French Market shop
- 100g Parmigiano Reggianno 18 months matured from the French Market shop
- 4 Eggs
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 or 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon of Herbes de Provence
- 25g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 stock cube or 1 tablespoon dried stock veal or chicken or vegetable
- A sprinkle of Fleur du sel de Guerande and ground black pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic cloves coarsely.
- Wash the Puy green lentils and fresh herbs in water and drain.
- Pour about 800ml of cold water into a large, heavy based saucepan add the lentils, onions, garlic, herbs, thyme, bay leaves and bring to the boil.
- Add the stock cube/ stock powder and knob of butter, stir in, cover and reduce heat to simmer gently. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Grate the cheese in thin slices.
- Remove the saucepan lid when lentils are cooked, if there is still a lot of liquid raise the temperature a bit and stir while liquid evaporates. There should be a little moisture left.
- Spoon the lentils into a serving dish, drizzle 1 tablespoonful of olive oil and 1 of vinegar over them and keep warm.
- 10 minutes before serving, put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water and bring to boil for 6 minutes exactly.
- Remove eggs from water, remove shells, holding the egg with a cloth as they are hot.
- Put the grated parmesan over the warm lentils, place the eggs over the parmesan and slice them in half so that the egg yolk can run (in theory) over the lentils.
Pair with a glass of light red wine such as the Petite Sirene Rouge from Bordeaux