French Market Recipe 2023 28
Penne à la sauce tomates anchois
Penne pasta with a tomato and anchovy sauce
Ingredients for 2 portions
- 50g Parmigiano Reggiano 18 months matured from the French market
- 8 white anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ cup black olives with pips removed or black olive paste
- 1 cup ripe cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 cup canned Italian cooked and peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups of Penne pasta (you can use other pasta shapes but penne works best)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel and slice onions
- In a heavy based frying pan, lightly fry the sliced garlic in olive oil until golden
- Add the canned tomatoes and mush the pulp with a spoon until chunks broken into small pieces
- Add the anchovies, olives (without pips), capers, cherry tomatoes
- Gently simmer this mixture for at least 15 minutes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add the penne (pasta).
- Boil as per directions until al dente (slightly hard)
- Strain off all the water then add pasta to the sauce
- Mix the pasta well into the sauce until it is thoroughly coated.
- Serve in a large bowl and grate parmigiano reggiano over the top
Pair with a glass of chilled Rose made by Gerard Bertrand from the Cotes des Roses near Narbonne, right down on the Mediterranean coast, available from the French Market shop or order online.