French Market Recipe 2023 21
Burgundy beef stew
Ingredients for 6
- 1.5kg beef sirloin or rump
- 6 shallots or onions
- 75g butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon of flour
- 1 bouquet garni (tied sprigs of dried herbs usually includes thyme, bay leaves, and sage)
- 1 bottle of Valmoissine Pinot Noir from the French Market shop
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop the onions
- Cut the beef into small cubes
- Melt the butter in a heavy based saucepan
- Add the beef and lightly fry, turning all the time until golden
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir in until slightly golden in colour
- Add the onions and bouquet garni and stir in
- Add the wine and bring to the boil
- Cover pot with lid and turn down to a gentle heat and simmer for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally so that nothing sticks to the base of the pot.
- Cook until the meat is falling apart, remove from heat and allow to cool
- I suggest that the dish is made the day prior to eating to allow the flavour to develop
- Reheat the pot and simmer gently for another hour or so before serving.
- Taste for seasoning and add a little salt and pepper to suit your taste.
- Note you can also add mushrooms, bacon, carrots, celery etc. to suit your preference.
Serve with big chunks of fresh baguettes to mop up the sauce or some mashed potato. Pair with a glass of Louis Latour’s beautiful red wine such as the Beaune 1ier Cru 2020 or Vosne Romanee 2020, full bodied Pinot Noirs from Burgundy, available from our shop or order online from us.