One of my favourite meat dishes is ostrich because I know the meat has no fat content and is really good to eat. It has a great texture and is very versatile. I always enjoy a tasty sauce with my steak and I created this recipe after chatting to a French client who shared some ideas with me of how she prepared a sauce for a steak. All you do is to cover the steak with crushed peppercorns, fry it in butter, remove the steak from the pan then add cream and cognac to the juices in the pan and stir. This was a really simple and easy recipe to make, it worked like a dream and the sauce tasted wonderful. I suggest pairing this with a Pinot Noir from Burgundy such as the La Vignee made by Bouchard Pere et Fils.
Ingredients for 4 guests:
- 4 ostrich thick steaks -200g per person
- Handful of black peppercorns
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 100g butter
- Handful of Black peppercorn roughly crushed
- 60ml Cognac
- Salt to taste
- Roll the steaks in the crushed peppercorns so that they cover the surface
- Heat the butter in a heavy based frying pan and fry the steaks on both sides according to preference
- Take steaks out of pan and keep warm
- Add cream to pan juices and stir in, add a little salt to taste
- Add cognac and stir in for a few minutes until sauce well mixed.
- Pour sauce over each steak and serve immediately.
Serve steaks hot accompanied by a fresh green salad.
Pair with a glass of Bouchard Pere et fils La Vignee pinot Noir from Burgundy.