This week my daughter taught me to make a delicate and easy asparagus dish with a delicious Fondata sauce. This sauce is made by beating cheese, eggs and crème fraiche over a double boiler until it melts into a thick cheese sauce. We used Comte Vert and Emmental as both cheeses melt easily and have a wonderful flavour. After cooking the asparagus, we poached eggs then poured the sauce over the eggs and asparagus. I recommend pairing this dish with a fresh Sauvignon Blanc to match the flavour of the asparagus.
Ingredients for 4 guests as a starter portion:
- 2 bunches green asparagus
- 7 eggs
- 100g Emmental grated
- 100g Comte Vert grated
- Garlic clove peeled
- 1 cup crème fraiche
A bottle of Sauvignon Blanc Sancerre wine from the French Market in Cape Town
- Take a heat proof bowl and rub the inside with the garlic clove, then discard clove
- Separate 3 eggs and put the 3 egg yolks in the bowl, add the crème fraiche, grated cheese, salt and pepper
- Place over a a saucepan of medium boiling water
- Whisk the ingredients over the hot water for 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- At the same time steam the asparagus for 3 to 4 minutes and drain
- Poach 4 eggs in boiling water for 4 minutes and strain
- Place asparagus on 4 plates
- Top with a poached egg then pour over the sauce.
- Serve immediately while hot.
Pair with a glass of delicate Sancerre, a sauvignon blanc wine from the Loire region.