With our extreme cold weather I am longing for hearty, filling dishes but I don’t want to pile on the kilos as I know it takes forever to shed them in summer time. I noticed that many of my clients are also looking for gluten free recipes so I have come up with a delicious Cauliflower bake made with Cantal cheese and no flour. This is a really easy recipe, the Cantal cheese, one of the most ancient of French cheeses, has the most delicious flavour particularly when it is toasted on top of the bake. It can be served at lunchtime as a light meal or as a side dish to accompany a juicy steak at dinner time. I recommend serving this lovely dish with a wooded Chardonnay from Burgundy.
Ingredients for 4 guests:
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 scrape or pinch of nutmeg
- 500ml full cream milk
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard from the French Market
- 4 tablespoons French butter from Normandy “ “
- 200g Cantal cheese grated
- Salt and Pepper
Pairing suggestion – a bottle of Bouchard pere et Fils La Vignee Chardonnay or a Meursault “Les Clus” from the French Market in Cape Town
- Preheat oven to 190C degrees
- Remove outside green leaves, wash cauliflower and dry
- Cut off the florets and place to one side
- Chop up the remaining central stalk and all the scraps
- Pour milk into heavy based saucepan, add the chopped cauliflower stalk, sprig of thyme, 2 tablespoons butter, whole garlic clove and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
- Place florets in a baking pan, season with salt pepper and dot with remaining butter, roast in preheated oven for 12 minutes, set aside
- Remove cauliflower stalks from heat and take out the sprig of thyme
- Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Once blended stir in 2/3rds of the grated Cantal cheese, dijon mustard, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- Combine puree and roasted cauliflower
- Pour into a deep sided heat proof dish, top with remaining grated cheese and bake at 190C for 12-15min until golden brown
Serve straight away with a glass of Burgundian Chardonnay from Bouchard Pere et Fils.