In my garden, right now, there are lots of ripe, bright yellow, lemons hanging off my solitary lemon tree. This has tempted me to make recipes which include their delicious flavour. I have recently brought in a Burgundian Chardonnay “La Vignée” from Bouchard Pere et Fils. The wine has been matured in the cellars of the Bastions of the ancient Chateau de Beaune for over 7 months, 20% in barrels and 80% in vats therefore it is lightly wooded and silky with a lovely fruitiness. I have combined these 2 ingredients to make a delicate flavoured and quite delicious chicken dish. It is ideal if you are looking for a simple to prepare dish that can simmer on the hob while you manage a million other tasks. You can add some baby potatoes to the chicken if you need a more substantial meal or you can just serve it with a light side-salad, dressed with olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
Ingredients for 4 guests:
- 8 cut pieces of chicken
- 25 g butter
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- 1 fresh lemon
- 130 ml Chardonnay
- +/- 16 Baby potatoes or a fresh green salad (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
I recommend pairing this dish with a “La Vignée” Chardonnay 2012 from Bourgogne by Bouchard Pere et Fils 2012 available at the French Market shop.
- Melt the butter and oil in a heavy based saucepan or wok.
- Add the pieces of chicken and turn them until golden brown on both sides.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir in with a wooden spoon until flour has disappeared.
- Add the Herbes de Provence and stir in.
- Warm the wine slightly (in a microwave) and add to the chicken, stir in well making sure there are no lumps of flour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- If you are going to add baby potaoes, cook these in boiling water for about 15 minutes until soft when pierced with a knife.
- Slice in wide chunks with their skins on and add to the chicken about 5 minutes before the end of the cooking.
- Grate the lemon rind finely and stir into the chicken just before serving.
- Slice a few thin slices of lemon for decoration on top of the chicken when serving.
You can serve this accompanied by a side dish of green salad dressed with 3 tablespoons olive oil mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
French Market Recipe 31 – Poulet braise au vin blanc de Bourgogne Click on link for a pdf copy of the recipe