I was looking at ideas for Easter meals and the dishes that come up all the time include either eggs, lamb or chocolate. In France Oeufs Mimosa are stuffed, hard boiled eggs. There appears to be endless variations for the filling for this very easy and tasty dish. It can be served as canapés, as a starter or a main course and it takes just a few minutes to prepare. I decided on 2 different fillings, one with green peppercorns which has a peppery bite and a Provençal style filling with hints of garlic, olives, gherkins and anchovies. Basically you can use anything and mix it with a good mayonnaise. The eggs are colourful, set on a bed of lettuce.
Ingredients for 8 half eggs:
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 lettuce
- Light vinaigrette (3 spoonfuls olive oil and 1 spoonful lemon juice)
- Fresh chives
- Filling 1:
- 1 large spoonful of French mayonnaise from the French Market shop
- ½ teaspoon green peppercorn mustard from “ “ “ “
- ¼ teaspoon fresh green peppercorns (in brine)
- Filling 2:
- 1 large spoonful of Aioli French garlic mayonnaise from the French Market shop
- 4 small Cornichons (gherkins) from “ “ “
- 8 Black olives
- 2 anchovy fillets
- Bring salt water to boil in a saucepan, add the eggs and boil for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water and allow to cool.
- Put the French mayonnaise into a bowl
- Add the green peppercorn mustard.
- Drain and thinly chop the green peppercorns and add to the mixture.
- Put the Aioli in another bowl.
- Thinly chop the cornichons (gherkins).
- Remove stones from olives chop finely.
- Thinly slice the anchovies.
- Add the cornichons, olives and anchovies to the Aioli and mix together.
- Mix the olive oil and lemon juice together to make a light dressing
- Separate the lettuce leaves. Wash and dry the lettuce.
- Once eggs are cold, remove shells.
- Slice eggs in half lengthways.
- Remove the egg yolk carefully and mash egg yolk with a fork.
- Divide the mashed egg yolk into the two bowls of mixture and mix each one well.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Fill equal number of empty egg halves with the mixtures.
- Grind some black pepper over the top of the stuffed eggs
- Top with chopped chives
- Toss lettuce leaves in the light vinaigrette
- Arrange the leaves neatly on a flat serving plate.
- Place each egg half on the bed of salad in a pattern and serve.
I recommend serving this tasty dish with a glass of Chardonnay.