Suzanne’s Recipe 7 – 2014 Quiche blanc de volaille au beurre de truffe blanc
This week I needed to make a main course for a casual supper outdoors on the patio. I always enjoy making quiches as the flavours can be varied and this goes well with a green salad. Everything can be prepared in advance and the quiche popped in the oven just beforehand. I love the aroma of truffles and have been wanting to make a recipe with some of the white truffle products that I have in the shop. I think the key to success is not to add too much or it becomes too pungent. For my quiche I decided to combine some white truffle oil, white truffle butter and chicken breast meat. The combination worked beautifully and the quiche had a delicate waft of truffles as I served it.
- 1 jar of white truffle butter from the French Market shop
- 8 drops of white truffle oil “ “ “ “
- 4 chicken breasts
- 250ml cream
- 200ml milk
- 5 eggs
- 50g Butter
- Ready made pastry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grease the quiche pan and line with pastry. I use ready made and just shape it to fit the pan.
- Place in the fridge to firm up a bit.
- Chop up the chicken breasts into small cubes.
- Melt the ordinary butter in a heavy based frying pan, add the chicken cubes and gently cook on both sides until the outside colour has changed to blonde (about 5 minutes).
- Add 4 drops of white truffle oil and put a lid on the pan and simmer gently for about 10 minutes until tender
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool.
- Layer the cold chicken pieces across the base of the cold pastry base and leave in fridge.
- Prior to cooking preheat oven to 180 C degrees.
- Break the 5 eggs into a large mixing bowl
- Aadd the cream, milk and 4 drops of white truffle oil.
- Beat well with a whisk
- Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the egg mixture over the chicken pieces and put straight into the preheated oven.
- Cook for about 25 minutes until firm – maybe a few minutes longer If the mixture still seems a bit soft.
- Remove from the oven and add small teaspoons of the white truflle butter over the top of the quiche. (I used about ½ of the jar).
- Serve hot accompanied by a fresh green salad tossed in a vinaigrette of walnut oil and light flavoured vinegar such as white wine vinegar.
I recommend serving this delicate but fragrant quiche with a buttery chardonnay.