Suzanne’s Recipe 14 – 2014 Roulade de Saumon fumee et Petit Suisse avec la Salade d’Avocat
I was thrilled that our own Cape Town City was crowned the Global Earth Hour Capital winner for 2014. For my contribution to Earth Hour I decided to create a recipe that did not require any electricity to prepare. I lit plenty of candles, poured myself a glass of Krone Borealis to celebrate the event and prepared and ate my recipe by candle light. This recipe is quite delicious, the Petit Suisse fresh cream cheese from Normandie harmonises perfectly with the smoked salmon and the avocado dressed with lemon juice offers a counter balance to the creaminess. This recipe can be served as a starter or main course.
- 1 large or 2 small packets of fresh salad leaves – preferably baby leaves
- 320g Smoked salmon thinly sliced
- 1 tray of 6 Petit Suisse de Normandie from the French Market shop
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lemon
- Hazelnut Oil from the French Market shop
- Burgundy white wine vinegar from the French Market shop
- Fresh sprigs of Thyme
- Black pepper and Fleur du sel (salt crystals) to taste
- Light the candle, turn out the lights and pour a glass of bubbles 🙂
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Put a ¼ teaspoon of fine salt into a small bowl.
- Pour in 1 tablespooon Burgundy white wine vinegar and stir until the salt has dissolve.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Hazelnut oil and whisk into a homogenous smooth dressing.
- Wash and dry the salad.
- Cut into bite size pieces if the leaves are large and place in a large salad bowl.
- Lay out the slices of smoked salmon on a flat board.
- Open the Petit Suisse pots and drain off the extra liquid
- Remove the paper wrapping and place the cheese in a bowl.
- Carefully spread a thick layer of cream cheese across one side of all the smoked salmon slices.
- Roll the smoked salmon lengthways to form a roulade (sausage shape).
- Use a very sharp knife to carefully slice the roulade into narrow rings.
- Cut avocados in half.
- Remove pip and skin.
- Thinly slice the avos lengthwise and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss well.
- Divide the salad evenly into 8 and make a little heap on each starter plates
- Carefully arrange the avocado slices across the top of the salad
- Add an even number of roulade slices across the top of each salad
- Grate black pepper across the top, sprinkle with some fleur du sel (salt crystals)
- Decorate with a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Serve immediately.
I recommend serving this delicious salad with a glass of Krone Borealis