Suzanne’s Recipe 13 – 2014 Puree de Pommes de Terre et Marrons plus Beignets a l ‘Emmental
Officially we are now into Autumn so this week I wanted to make something to keep the chill out. I felt like some deep fried food like Beignets (doughnuts). I had some purée of potato and chestnuts left from my gourmet meal last week so I played with the mixture and coated chunks of Emmental with it, deep fried them and voila! a new style of Beignets with gooey Emmental inside. They were a bit messy at first but once I got the thickness of the puree right they worked fine.
- 8 Large potatoes
- 1 can of Puree de Marrons (chestnut puree) from the French Market shop
- 800 ml milk
- 100g butter
- Pinch nutmeg
- Extra ingredient for the Beignets (doughnuts)
- 1 egg
- Spoonful of flour
- 30g Emmental from the French Market shop
- Cooking oil for deep frying
Directions for the Potato and Marrons Puree:
- Peel the potatoes.
- Place in a large saucepan of boiling salted water.
- Boil until cooked about 20 minutes.
- Drain off the water.
- Mash the potaoes thoroughly.
- Add the Puree de Marrons and mash in well.
- Add 100 g butter, salt and pepper to taste and a large pinch of nutmeg.
- Slowly add the milk and continue to mash until a smooth, thick puree is created. Serve hot.
Directions for the Potato and Marrons Beignets with Emmental:
- Cut the Emmental into small cubes.
- Put 1 large serving of leftover Puree in a bowl.
- Seperate 1 egg.
- Add the egg yolk to the puree and mix in plus salt and pepper to taste.
- If the mixture is fairly runny then add flour until the mixture is fairly thick but not stiff.
- Beat the egg white until stiff and blend in carefully into the puree mixture
- Heat the cooking oil in a heavy based pot.
- Using a spoon, take a cube of emmental and roll it in the puree mixture until well coated.
- Drop into the hot oil and cook until golden brown turning while cooking.
- Once cooked, place on a piece of kitchen towel to remove extra oil.
- Continue cooking the Beignets until all the cheese has been used up.
- Serve immediately while very hot.
I recommend serving this light flavoured snack with a Cabernet Sauvignon. .